new MER-VCO series Synthesizer belongs to a class of "real"
digitally controlled synthesizers. The MER-VCO series Synthesizer
has TTL-logic 13bit frequency control word that allows 100KHz
step size for output frequency. Frequency control is via RS-232
port. The synthesizer unit is of compact modular construction
and could be installed as external component within a case of
other instrumentation equipment.
Ku-band as standard band, ELVA-1 can build MER-VCO series
Synthesizer for any custom frequency from 4GHz to 26GHz. Customers
who need upper frequencies can be provided with ELVA's IMPATT
Active Frequency Multipliers (see http://www.elva-1.com/products/microwave/IMPATT-26-150.html
) to deliver frequencies from 26GHz to 150GHz. Please
also see webpage of ELVA's GPIB Controlled Frequency Synthesizer
as an example of frequency multiplication design using IMPATT
Active Frequency Multiplier.
measure of the phase noise of the synthesizer, we used the
following Block-scheme, where Synthesizer No.2 is tested unit.
resulting spectrum at the oscillogram can be characterized
as noise-clean one with a high spectral purity.
MER-VCO series Synthesizer Specification for 15GHz Ku-Band
Output frequency range: 14700MHz to 15410MHz
2. Output frequency step size: 100kHz
3. Power output for 14.7-15.41GHz: +15dBm
4. Power variation: +/-1dB over temp / +/-1dB over freq
5. Load VSWR 1.3:1
6. Spurious output: -70dBc in band / -60 dBc out of band
7. Frequency control word 13 bits pattern (TTL), LSB: 100kHz
8. External reference: 10MHz, 0dBm +/- 3dBm
9. Switching time: 3 ms
10. Phase noise: -60dBc/Hz @ 100Hz no vibration
-80dBc/Hz @ 1kHz
-90dBc/Hz @ 10 kHz
-100dBc/Hz @ 100 kHz
-110dBc/Hz @ 1MHz
11. Harmonics: -30dBc
12. Power supply: +/-15VDC, +5VDC
13. Output connector: Ku Band Waveguide (WR-62)